It’s best to err on the side of caution, as mold exposure is an accumulative trigger of chronic inflammatory response syndrome. While one in four of us have the potential gene to incite an inflammatory response if exposed for long enough, 25% of the population is highly sensitive to mold biotoxins, and all contact with mold spores is bad. So you don’t necessarily have to have a genetic predisposition to be ill from mold.
If you already have Lyme disease or any form of autoimmune disease, you may be more likely to have a sensitivity to mold which could lead to CIRS. CIRS and Lyme disease are linked by a similar inflammation response of the body.
Not all mold is visible. When you think of mold, you more than likely picture black mold, which is a dense pattern of black, gray or green that grows in dank wet places indoors, or in compost outside. Often mold is growing in wall cavities, under floorboards, anywhere it can. And mold spores are generally invisible to the naked eye. We believe that everyone should be more wary of mold, as it can trigger an allergic reaction in many individuals who don’t have CIRS.
If you suspect mold in your home or office, and that it may be causing CIRS, we recommend the following course of action:
- Use your nose – Mold that cannot be seen may be smelled. It’s easy to go ‘noseblind’ day-in-day-out, but the next time you step into your office or return home, use the opportunity to have a good sniff and identify any problem areas in your house.
- Purchase a dehumidifier for your home – Mold loves humidity. If you can reduce the humidity levels to below 50% it can really make a difference.
- Contact a mold expert – A mold expert can conduct tests in your home or workplace and help you decide on a course of action for controlling or eradicating it.
- Find a Knowledgeable Doctor familiar with CIRS – It’s important your doctor is a specialist in identifying and treating chronic inflammatory response syndrome.